Fence Codes and Ordinances for The Woodlands, TX
The Woodlands, with a population of about 108,000, is a carefully-planned community, made up of several villages. Located north of Houston, it is one of the area’s most popular residential suburbs. As with many master-planned communities, all properties in The Woodlands are governed by associations that have strict guidelines for all construction projects. Each village may have different standards for fences, which must be followed by property owners. The reason for this is to maintain community values and appearance for all homes in the area. If you own a home in The Woodlands, you’re probably already familiar with and understand how those standards keep The Woodlands beautiful and safe, while protecting property values through exacting standards.
In most cases, homeowners in this development choose to hire local professional installers when they want a new or replacement fence. Those companies are intimately familiar with the local requirements and building codes, and can show you designs and options that ensure that your fence will be approved and accepted by your neighbors and will fit into the look of your neighborhood and community. Still, as you begin planning, you will want to understand the basics of what is allowed and required. The information below will give you the basic information you need to get started.
General Requirements for Residential Fences
- Building Permit Required? – All home improvement projects must be approved by The Woodlands Design Review Committee. For fences, each neighborhood has its own standards. Pre-approved designs are also available to speed the approval process. All projects must meet the exacting Woodlands Residential Development Standards.
- Permit Documentation Needed – Completed fence application form, design elevation drawing, and a copy of the property survey with fence location indicated.
- Fence Materials Allowed – Only approved fence styles and materials are allowed. These are listed in the Residential Development Standards document. Only stone, wood, metal or masonry fences are permitted.
- Maximum Height Limits – 8′ maximum and 4′ minimum for perimeter fences
- Property Line Issues – Fences must be built completely within property lines. Finished side of fence must face outward.
- Inspections Needed – An inspection is required on completion.
- Building Authority Contact – 281-210-3963
- Fence Standards Document
Specific Rules and Restrictions
- Front Yard Fences – Front yard fences must be open in design, set back at least 5′ from property lines and include vegetation in front of the fence.
- Side Yard Fences – Must respect platted building line. Must be set back at least 10′ from street pavement edge, if present.
- Back Yard Fences – Solid privacy fences are prohibited adjacent to public streets unless set back 10′, and are prohibited in rear yards with lake or golf course frontage.
- Corner Lot Restrictions – Fences may only extend 5′ past the front building line, and must include an adjacent planter bed with trees and plants.
- Other Restrictions
- Chain link, sheet metal, plastic, and unfinished cinder block materials are not permitted. Barbed wire, electrified and other hazardous materials are prohibited.
- Existing trees must be preserved.
- Individual neighborhoods may have stricter standards and requirements.
- Homeowners’ Association Issues – The entire community is governed by an association. All restrictions and covenants must be strictly observed. Approval is required for all projects outside of pre-approved designs.
- Commercial Fence Requirements – For any commercial fence project, contact the Woodlands Design Review Committee before beginning the planning process.
Complying with Fence Building Codes and Regulations – The Woodlands, TX
Due to the complexity and strictness of codes and rules, fences in The Woodlands are almost always built by local contractors who know the rules and ordinances. You can get contractor recommendations from neighbors or contact The Woodlands Covenant Administration office for a list of installers who have specific knowledge of requirements and restrictions within the community. Living in any of the villages in The Woodlands is enhanced by the standards that are enforced within this well-planned community. All regulations are designed to maintain those standards, which are shared by property owners. Your fence is sure to improve the value of your property if you stick to the established designs and exacting regulations for such projects.